Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Denmark Vs. Slovenia Part I


Like I've promised I'm going to give you a comparison between Slovenia and Denmark (lifestyle) of course from my perspective. I'm in a dilemma, on one hand I have to present both countries as they are/were and on the other I must try no to overlook and suppress the progress Slovenia has made this past few years.


Let's start from the top. First major difference I've perceived while crossing the border with Germany on the ferry is Denmark’s countryside. Everybody knows if you drive thru Slovenia you see small fields, each has different plant planted on it. Well not in Denmark. One field would be equivalent to min 4 or 5 of ours, and even if you try hard enough, you won't see the end of it. Of course you'll automatically say Denmark is bigger country, well that is true but it's not as big as you think, since it’s only twice as big as Slovenia.

Another thing I've notice right from the beginning is the speed limit on high-ways. It's only 110 km/h maybe to somebody that doesn’t seem as a big difference, but if you consider that I haven't seen one car that would surpass this limit for more then 10km/h then that’s a different story. So while your driving according to speed limit, everybody is doing the same. That was a big shock to me, since I'm not used to doing 130km/h (Slovenian speed limit, which I obviously obey) on a freeway let alone 110. I've try to understand, why noone is speeding and well frankly the only explanation I could come up with is that there are high speeding tickets and Denmark is more civilized nation. A friend told me an interesting thing few weeks later. You can’t find any speed controls on high-ways, because people are so used to drive inside these limits, there is no need for police to control them.

After this first shock, we came to Denmark’s capital-Copenhagen and where we up for a few shock of our lives,…

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Kure.

You know, not all Danes follow the speed limitations...

Some of us are a bit naughty!!!

Have fun in SLO, see ya...

Anonymous said...

Hey

I've experienced your driving and I didn't have the feeling that you are speeding;) but I could be wrong as I'm in the post;)

lp

Kure